Saturday, April 17, 2010

Geocache

So there is this thing called a Geocache. Its basically a scavenger hunt game where people put random things in a container and place them in strategic places and then, in order to learn about the world and how global positioning actually works, they plop their coordinates into a website and then you go out and find them. Its a really good thing (especially if you homeschool or will be homeschooling your children) to do for young kids. So Thursday, my friend Nikki who is my prayer group, invites me to go find one with her family. So we do, and ofcourse here is what happened.

1) Its out in the middle of sage brush central-so here we are trapping around with 9 kids of all ages right in the middle of tick season
2) Nikki's oldest girl breaks a flip flop, her youngest girl is cold and all the children are now convinced they have ticks
3) After finding it, the kids don't seem to care too much, they are off on their own little adventure in a jungle somewhere and head right for the desert sands that await beyond. (we were on rodeo grounds that has sand dunes)
4) Nikki and I give in and let them play. As they play, they get covered with sand, it goes everywhere.
5) Both Nikki and myself have baby daughters (toddler ages) who are having melt downs. Two of the bigger kids get sand in each other eyes, everyone is thirsty but the only water I had is now part sand.
6) We decide to leave when the sun gets clouded over and its past dinner time.
7) I drive onto the sand to get my neice who is handicapped and after we all are loaded, I promply get stuck in one of the ONLY two muddy spots in the whole darn field, so now we have to wait for my brother to get there to hook up the minivan to Nikki's way jacked up Dodge Durango (beat that power you wussy hybrids!).
8)My brother, who is going through an intense LPN program right now goes to bed at 7:30, we wake him up and he gets lost thinking we are at a location other than what we said. So he is completely late, but gets us out.
9)I pass up on Nikkis offer to have her grab me a takenbake pizza because I am just positively sure my mom has dinner on the stove just waiting for us by the time we get back.
10) Find out when we get home, mom fell asleep and didn't even know we were gone, so I stayed up super late fixing ramen noodles and shoving fruit cups into the kids for dinner (real great nutrition I know)
11) I get up early to take the car, which is now completely covered in sand, to a carwash vaccum cleaner.

But on the brighter side of this, the kids got to learn a little bit about global positioning (read: wasn't really worth it). The worst part was, Nikki even had her camera and we didn't even get a pictures of the stuck van, it was a beauty!

1 comment:

Orchid said...

LOL oh you had a time and a half! Next time you're close to us you can come with us. We do the easier ones for the kids (and me too!) But it's fun the girls love going "treasure hunting".