Monday, December 20, 2010

Sledding, sugar cookies and the getrankenmarkt!

 I baked, a lot. Its a tradition in our family to bake Christmas plates and give them to neighbors. Since German neighbors don't do this with most American families, I decided to do it for my friends. I took plates to our priest, other families we know from church and friends we have made a long the way! These are my mom's famous bundt cakes. I never bring any home when I take them to potlucks!!!

 It snowed a while back...a lot. We suited up the kids, bought sleds and out of the house we went! Although it wasn't a good idea to take the toddler, she didn't do as well as I hoped!
 Our neighborhood.
 This is how we found out how deep the snow was...poor Benjamin! Daddy rescued him.
 Thomas decided to build his muscles so he could be big and strong like dad!
 Heave Ho! These kids just love having a big brother!! He did some complaining, but not too much!
 KC, geared up for the weather!
 We tried, but the hills around where we live just do not slope that much. So we ended up pushing a lot.
 I am very proud of myself as a mom though....nobody got cold!!!
 Dad helped with the long haul home, Thomas got Abby, Dad got Ben!
 After our hard work, KC and I went to the German getrankenmarkt to reward ourselves with some beer! Good stuff that German beer!

 Then, we came in and decorated the cookies I had made earlier that day. We had a blast with home made frosting!!!
 Smile! Ben raised his knife to the camera!!!


 Not satisfied with just frosting, Benjamin delicately puts red sprinkles on his Christmas tree cookie!

 On another day not long ago, we recieved the package from Grandma and Grandpa in Idaho (two actually). Abby was very pleased with several of the goodies that were sent!!!
THANKS GRANDMA and GRANDPA!!! I WILL ENJOY THEM!!!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

When did Abby get all grown up?

time2escape said...

I found this entry very interesting! My mother's side of the family is all German, but not many traditions were passed down so I often wonder what German holiday traditions there are. The only one we had for sure is the Christmas cookies, which look very similar to what you have there. They are my great great grandmother's recipe! And by the way, those bunt cakes look delicious!