Well, the boys and I made it safely back home, with the help of my dad that is. While I was in Idaho I got to do quite a few neat things. But most of all I was able to see and spend time with ALL my nieces and nephews (God children too!) I can't believe how much they have all grown! After we got in, Ben got his cold of course, but quickly got over it. But after that, it seems that the cold weather played with his sinuses because he was always stuffed up in the morning, but breathing fine at night before bed!
Katie and I enjoyed a day at the mall, doing things little girls and their aunt/Godmother do. We hit up Old Navy, Claire's Boutique, Barnes and Nobles and then had a nice lunch. This phenomenon going on called Hannah Montana is everywhere! Katie said she had to have the handbag because all the kids in her school (i.e. Kindergarden) have this stuff. I didn't believe her! But when I took her to school one morning, there it was! Hannah Montana hoodies, pencil boxes, back packs, sweat shirts, hair accessories etc...!!!! I couldn't believe it! Three of the kids in school had cell phones and ipods, which I can't even imagine why they need them, but hey, I will let their parents worry about them.
Mikey and Thomas made the best of the time, because they were buddies. Mikey (who has grown so much) is about two inches taller than Thomas, but they are the same size in clothes. They played and got into much mischief together as possible, I do say that with no embellishment. Mikey knows how to open locked doors, climb over fences and up trees, over shelves and hide in bunk beds! He sure can run, he just moves, which is why we call him Dash! Thomas of course was the enabler to most of this mischief, a few times I found them running down the road with no shoes on, or hopping on bikes and not telling anyone where they were going.
I was fortunate to go ahead and just have a lunch date with Mikey! We went to one of my favorite restaurants in Idaho Falls, Smitty's! Its not the best in the world of course, but hey, I grew up with it! Every Sunday after mass we would head out for breakfast and that followed through at home as well. I went with Mikey and we had chicken tenders and I enjoyed thier home made whipped cream! (I was also craving their potato pancakes-yumm!) It was awesome just Mikey and I for a whole afternoon! He went with me down to the DMV where I had to renew my license and had fun running up and down the stiars of the old county building!
Ben for the most part kind of hung out at home and visited Gage who occasionally dropped by. Then other times he was with me. The kids all had several trips to Blast-Off, a specially designed area for kids to play. A huge climbing wall, land of make believe, slides and play areas, mini golf and lazer tag. An arcade as well, but I find it stupid putting money into a machine in insane amounts just so you can by a less than 1 cent spider ring for 500 tickets!
Melissa and I were able to get together only a few times because our schedules were sooo hectic, but it was nice to see Brianne and Mikayla and how they are growing soo much! They did get to join us at blast off once so I got some cute pictures!
As if driving cross country wasn't enough, I decided to get across the state and visit the other side of my family. KC's sister and mother were able to see Ben and Thomas. I had a riot at my mother in laws house! She has gotten a few chickens since last we visited. The head rooster there is golden and beautiful! The name he came with was George and he just doesn't like kids. So he did peck at Thomas a few times and went after Ben pretty much whenever he could. But we were able to spend alot of time out there and have lots of fun. Ben still wouldn't warm up to Grandma, but she didn't manage to get a hug out of him once. Thomas as always was her helper. He helped her do the chores and of course was able to ride Mini, the family horse, which he had literally been dreaming about since were there two year ago! I kicked myself because I forgot my camera, so the only pics I have are the ones Grandma took on her camera!
After a few days there, we headed to Brandi and Russ's place and got to spend an evening in the Bond household. Thomas and Wade got along great, he has really neat toys that Thomas just fell in love with and Brandi bribed Ben for a hug with a popsicle! It worked! We got to see Lauren and Wade off to school. While they look so much more grown up, after a few minutes with them, its nice to see they are still the same great kids! They looked after Thomas as they played outside and even showed him around the horse pens. They day I showed up heading home, we took a walk down their road and picked at cat-tails and made a huge mess of seeds all over the road. It was just nice hanging out with them! I actually was able to watch American Idol while I was there. First time ever seeing it for me cause I just don't watch it. But now I can understand how it might be addicting if you watch it from the beginning!
While I was home I was able to get to teach my dads religious ed classes, also known as Catechism classes. I missed teaching the 10 year olds! I haven't been able to have that much fun with the kids in a long time! I was able to get the boys who didn't talk to open up all the questions and discussions! It was great! I was able to let my dad know that I was just good with boys cause I have two myself!
Also, were able to get over to see Joe and Jen in the final weeks before the birth of their first baby! We had spectacular lasagna and no bake oatmeal cookies! Jen looks radiant and very excited. I have a sneaking suspicion that its going to be a girl, but hey I could be wrong! We ate and then spent a great day at the park, even with Thomas throwing sand and running away from me!
We went out for Denny's birthday while I was home even though it was like 11 days early. All in all, I really do miss Idaho Falls, because I have soo many friends and family there, half of which I didn't even get to see before I left (sorry again camille!)
Dad, the boys and I left for home on a Thursday from Salt Lake City. Katie Mikey and Denny accompanied us for the night at the hotel! We had a great time jumping in the water and playing. It was all sad the next day when there wasn't a dry eye in the cars and we hugged and said goodbye! I could not stop from sobbing. I don't think it was hormones, I just will miss those kids sooo much!
We headed out for a stop in Las Vegas, we had dinner with my Aunt Maggie who is working on the Hoover Dam down there. Then we made it into Tuscon the next day where we spent two days visiting with family. Then to Ft. Stockton TX, then a quick stop in San Antonio, where Thomas got to see the Alamo and have dinner at the Tower of the Americas in the floating restaurant. He loved it! Its similar to the space needle in Seattle, but taller. There is a place to eat up there and no way was I to go to the observation deck! They were really thrilled with the fountains of water in front of the structure though. After eating, we walked through to the river walk and all the shops and things there. I was able to stop at the Disney Store and get Ben a small replica of Buzz Lightyear. Its his favorite. We stopped in Houston for the night, then into Mobile the next day where we got to tour the USS Alabama, its a battle ship that has been retired. Many of you may know the movie Undersiege with Stephen Segal, it was filmed aboard that ship. We had a great time! Although, there is no reason ever to take a toddler on board unless you want to pack around the kid! The stairs are narrow and steep and Ben nearly killed himself on them. But he still had a great time.
Then we made it home about two o'clock where KC was waiting for us! Not to be out done, we decided to head to Panama City the next day while dad was here and enjoy the beach. Dad treated KC to an early graduation dinner since he won't be here for the actual date. It was fun. Thomas is now in love with the water at the beach. KC and Thomas got to spend the whole afternoon together and try to catch fish and crabs (one jabbed KC's finger) and collect sea shells. We got home just in time to go to church. Then it was time to repack and take dad to the airport. We were also invited to a wonderful BBQ to top off the weekend/trip over at Sharon and Sean's home! It was great! We had so much fun with all the people there and it was nice to let the kids just run in their fenced in back yard!
1 comment:
We were so excited to see you and I'm glad you had a fun trip back to Alabama.
Post a Comment