Sunday, February 8, 2009

interesting comparisons

The difference between German five year old boys and my five year old boy:

I have met perhaps a dozen young german kids while here in country. From my observations thus far, its going to be hard to get Thomas a few friends!
Thomas is way loud, he talks all the time, and he is NOT shy! he will go talk to anyone he finds interesting. And he is drawn to a group of kids, he loves to play. (So not like me! I was the shy kid!)
These kids are quiet, reserved and they seem to just go about their buisness while thinking to themselves and not out loud. Thomas has run up to kids on more than one occasion to see if they want to play. I even taught him to say hello and how to tell them his name in German. He is pretty good at it. But they just look at him and don't say much.
One time last week he came back to me with tears in his eyes thinking he had said something wrong and that they don't want to play. It took me while to get him to understand that things might be a tad different here.
I can't wait until he gets to go the American kindergarden and then the kids he will be around him will be more like the ones he remembers. Its hard for me to see how hard it is for him here. He misses Alabama (of all things) and the friends he had there. So I am at a loss for what to do, but just keep encouraging him. There probably is such a thing as being TOO sociable.

2 comments:

Mrs. Craig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Craig said...

Awww...you brought tears to my eyes. I know you wish you could fix it too. There is nothing like feeling helpless to your kids huh?

I think it is a great thing not to be shy. I was the shy kid too. So I understand.

Give us your address and maybe I can get Reilly to send Thomas a letter so something.

I hope he can find good friends that will play the American way.