Saturday, March 3, 2007

Still here to tell about it!

Wow! The last couple of days has been a real turmoil situation! We had a huge category 3 tornado come down on us! It was the scariest thing for us. KC had to stay on base because they couldn't actually have people out driving home on the roads. I had been over at a friends and then I had to go home and try to get something in the mail. I was able to get home and then I felt kind of worried. I told Thomas to sit in the hallway and I would sit with him and read him stories. It was just hammering rain down. I turned off the PC and all the lights. Then it stopped raining and the electricity flickered off-on-off. Then it got real dark outside. Then I remembered my friend Misty said something about being in the bathroom. So I herded Thomas in the tub (myself holding Ben), covered up with blankets and tried to play games as we waited in the pitch dark. My cell phone display provided some light. Little Ben was in my arms trying to eat my watch. :) I heard scratching on the roof and the wind hurling outside. Its a desperate time when you are sitting in a tub praying that God keep you safe. After what seemed like forever, I heard a knocking at my front door. It was my friend Misty coming to check up on me. We went outside and took a look around. There were heavy branches down everywhere and lots of debris from houses. The cyclone passed right over our house (I found out later) and touched down in our neighborhood 100 yards away. It levelled dozens of beautiful little brick homes. But the worst part of the whole situation was that the storm hit the local area high school, killing 8 teenagers. We are all saddened so much by this. It has been all over the national news, we didn't see any of it because of the power being out, but it is a huge mess.
I thank God that we got through it the way we did. All we lost was power for a few days. It could have been SO much worse. It was a frightening experience, one I hope we don't have to go through again too soon.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm so glad you guys made it through unscathed.