Oh my son! I have been cornered into reading a wonderful book called "Raising Boys" by Doctor James Dobson, just for you! You fidget when you sit at the table for more than a micro second (and your not eating). I can't get you to do ANYTHING without whining. You argue with me every morning about what you are going to wear that day. You NEVER used to do this! Not that you care about style, but you argue if it will be hot or cold. I can't get you to pick up your star wars legos if your life depended on it and you are such an unruly scholar, you hate doing school work. You bounce, not walk, bounce down the hallway while narrating every single thing you do. You make so much noise that you can't even hear me when I talk to you sometimes. You torture your little brother about what toys he gets to use and in the end, you are made to share by me!
Because of our insanely small back yard (cause the germans don't believe in having much of a yard) you get bored way to easily and invent new ways to break stuff. I would let you ride your bike alone, but time and again you have demonstrated your ability to NOT look both ways in the street. I realize I must seem boring and you feel trapped because you have no where else to go. One day you will realize I don't let you do much and keep you home because anything you seem to touch gets destroyed. I don't converse with these Germans much because of the language barrier (and they truly do like to keep to themselves!), but I sure don't want to have one show up at my door, you in tow, yelling at me that you scratched their car riding your bike or threw a metal car into their window while playing (because frankly, I just don't think German children do those things).
I am so sorry that these German children won't play with you. It breaks my heart to see you watch them and then get shunned by them. And it is even worse with your dad not here. I can't show you how to tie knots, sharpen knives, carve wood stuff or even go fishing with you. I try to keep you involved in as many things with as many people as possible to just keep you occupied.
I know that when we leave next year, we will find a house with a bigger yard, neighbors who actually speak to you and where we aren't so close to everything that it will get dented if you're not careful!
Please please please understand that mommy is having a hard time right now trying to keep things simple so that we don't all go crazy.
So just bide your time, try to act like a well behaved six year old ( I know..pipe dream) and maybe soon you will get your puppy...hell, go ahead and ask for that pony after your dad gets back!
3 comments:
Well, damn. Poor Kid. Poor Mama. Sigh.
The trials and tribulations of military life... Poor kid & poor mama too! Hate to say that kids on this side of the pond snub too : (
Oh, Mandy and Thomas...hang in there. We're praying for you.
Amy
Post a Comment