We made it! But just barely.
After turning in the keys to our house and staying with some friends for a few nights, we boarded the plane in Atlanta and then to Frankfurt. The flight was great. As you can imagine it was quite difficult with the children. But by no means were the kids bad. Thomas stayed awake most of the time but watched Kungfu Panda, ate a few things on his in-flight dinner and then fell asleep for the rest of the flight. Ben fell asleep on take off, then woke up just a few times to get a drink or two, he watched some tv, I read him a few books and then he fell back asleep again. Abby was...well she was Abby and was everything a five week old baby should be. She slept great and all I had to do was nurse her and hold her for about an hour and then she slept most of the time. The only problem with this is that the kids never slept all at the same time. They were in shifts. Which wasn't a big deal, but that meant Mom and Dad didn't get any sleep. So by the time we landed, we were exhausted. But oh no it doesn't end there. It took us another two hours to collect our luggage and car seats from baggage claim, by that time, our tired brood of children were all crying in some form of too tiredness or were hungry. We had no idea who to contact or what needed to be done. At one point we found ourselves standing in the middle of the air port unable to do anything but just sit there and form a plan. We finally saw a sign that said all US military personnal report to this desk. We took half an hour finding that desk only to find that there was no one there. So we waited another twenty minutes until the guy came back. He got a hold of our sponser who was on his way to get us. By the time KC checked in and we met up with our sponser it was almost twelve pm. It took us forever to find the van in the parking area cause he had never been to this airport before and he had only ever been there when he came to the country. We all climbed into the car, loaded the luggage, I had to make him wait while Abby nursed another twenty minutes, and then he was off. Just as soon as we hit the autoban, we all fell asleep in the car. And I was so tired, y'all I was loopey (I had to use some of the Alabama slang in there). We got checked into the hotel and I just clicked on the tv, put a movie in and I hit the couch and don't remember anything until the baby woke me up a few hours later. Honestly, the building could have burned down and I wouldn't have known. Then for twelve hours afterwords I was still like that. KC wasn't much better. So I sent him to sleep. After a rough night of trying to keep the kids fed and satisfied, I went to bed and KC watched them while I slept.
Then today, we got up and were able to check out the post. PX and commissary.
I did notice that Germans don't have closets, that have armoirs and that they don't have elevators. Something that follows through right to the post.
Everyone has been great and friendly. I am looking forward to making friends and seeing lots of stuff. And hopefully recharging my German, which at this point feels like I haven't spoken it in so long its a dead language. I am still tired but hopefully with a few more days time that should wear off.
We did notice one thing, its cold here! Really nice and cold! We stepped into the air after the flight and right away felt much better. The leaves are different colors and it smelled like autumn. Lord, how I have missed that. And KC even made a comment..."see Thomas, this is what its supposed to look like this time of year!"
We have only been in country two days, but (and I am sorry to quote Annie the movie here but...) I think I'm gonna like it here!
3 comments:
Glad you arrived safe and sound! I can't imagine lugging 3 kids across the ocean.
So glad you made safe and sound. Can't wait to hear all about Germany.
Yeah!!!! Glad you made it in one piece.
Post a Comment