Thursday, March 19, 2009

Week in Review

Well dear bloggers, I am here once again annoyed. I have misplaced my camera and am going crazy because Abby's six month photos are on Tuesday. I will be scouring the house to find it all weekend. It is probably just in a cubby hole I put it in to keep away from the kids, I am sure it is safe. Tomorrow is Friday (or Freitag in deutsch) and while I would love to blog then, I won't be able to because I will be otherwise occupied!

KC leaves for training field excersices at 0700 and won't be back until Monday morning. This we didn't know about until a few days ago. I had already agreed to watch the children of a few friends of ours this Friday. But I had expected it to be with KC. So now I will need to be the child care provider for two five year olds, a two and half year old, a fifteen month old and a six month old, for about eight solid hours. Can anyone say "crazy"!

We did have a few exciting things happen to us this week. Thomas started a two month program called "strong beginnings" geared toward kids going into kindergarden. Just to get them ready for the curriculum. He didn't want to go at first, but when he saw one of his little friends he didn't mind so much. He really likes it so far, he got his backpack (Spiderman) all set and even did his first "homework" assignment. Still needs to work on raising his hands in class. I took him the first day and warned the teacher that he is a talker. She assured me that they deal with that all the time and that it would be no problem. When I came to collect him, she stood there, unmoving and said "Man, that boy can talk!" So I guess he is my kid afterall. I always thought of Thomas as maybe being shy, but nope, my kid goes up to anybody and says all sorts of stuff about Spiderman and how he has a little sister and a brother who still isn't potty trained which is making his mom's hair grey and that he can't understand how that would turn it grey etc....

Ben has been fun, he has moved on to what I like to call the complete Superhero Phase. This is where your little son, with the help of halloween costumes of old, dresses like batman, spiderman, superman, a ninja turtle or a greek warrior instead of wearing any other little boy clothes he owns. I really don't mind so much, he will grow out of it soon enough and it makes me have less laundry. And he is really cute when he tries to sing the theme song to Superman.

Abby is up on all fours but then does the air jumper routine where her arms go flat beneath her like she is free falling from a jet three miles high. But her hair is growing in thicker and she is starting to giggle. I finally managed to get her room decorated. All except the curtains. I need to figure out how to hang em in this house.

I recieved a late birthday card from my God daughter Kathryn! It is so cute, I will scan it soon so you can all see it! She is getting quite talented!

A few cultural differences to mention. I hate German dishwashers. They don't seem to want to hold glasses the right way. I have had a number of broken glasses. And it doesn't matter how I position them in the rack, they just fall over.
They collect garbage every two weeks here in our little village. Which we forgot two weeks ago and had two extra bags of garbage that wouldn't fit into our garbage can. So we just put them right next to it and they didn't take them! They were right there! I might have to just demand an explanation about that.

I saw a German kindergarden for Ben. I am very impressed and I think he will love it! If I can ever get him potty trained. I am sure it would help his language skills evolve while we are here. So I am looking into it. The kindergarden is beautiful and I enjoyed meeting the teachers and seeing all the activites they have for the little ones to do.

I took a tour of our little village with the kids(with the help of our double jogging stroller) a few days ago when the weather was cooperating. We found we live just feet away from a farmer raising egg chickens and only 250 meters away from a dairy! I haven't had the time or the gumption to see if they will sell there stuff to me or if they only deliver to the local stores but I am going to try to ask anyway. We found a bike trail that goes into the woods for about three miles. Its all concrete until you get the woodline. Thomas rode his bike the entire time I love it because there are no cars so I don't worry about him so much.

KC and I have upgraded to Blu-Ray! And so did our netflix. So we watched our first Blue-Ray movie. Prince Caspian. We enjoyed it. It reallly is great film quality. But we aren't throwing out our old movies anytime soon!
We got to see two new movies this week. 1.) The Jumper- I give it a A for orginality and a B for just setting up for a sequel.
2) The Mummy 3. Ok so that isn't the technical name of it but it eludes me at the moment. It is the third Mummy movie by Stephen Sommers. We enjoyed it, lots of good moments.
It has been a busy week here in Germany, not a lot of sight seeing, but that may be in a few weeks time when the weather gets better. Its almost like being home, the weather was sunny yesterday and flowers were in bloom all over! Tulips are coming up all over our yard! Then today it was sunny and warm at 0800 and by 1600 it was snowing! Just like Idaho! So KC and I just looked at eachother and just laughed! Crazy to think we are back to this weather pattern! However, we both much prefer it over the always hot and mugginess of the southern Alabama region!
I promise to post some shots of the kids and our little village when I eventually find that camera...

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for the updates. Good luck with all the kiddos this weekend.