Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Huck Finn

Ok, so my 'bestest' big brother ever sent me Huck Finn. I haven't read it ever. I swear, in school, or at least District 91 back in good ole Idaho, they made me read Tom Sawyer like four times. As a result I was burned out on Samuel Clemens. But about a year ago, I was watching O'Riley on Fox and he had a gentleman who was like the superintendent of schools someplace in New England and had just resigned because he was sick of what public school was doing to American kids. But he suggested that if Americans really wanted to get a great sense of American iconic classics, they should read two things.
1.) The Federalist Papers-by authors such as Hamilton, John Jay and Madison
2.) Huck Finn
Now, me being me, I read the Federalist Papers (which was NEVER assigned to me in school, college or otherwise) and loved them. Now I am reading Huck Finn. Wish me luck as it is hard to find time to read. But luckily the chapters aren't really that long.
I am trying to get through it. I will probably take a class on it or by the Cliff Notes with questions to analyze it. But I do like Twain, I bought a book at my thrift store for like 10 cents with the complete short stories of Mark Twain and man, I am so miffed I didn't dive into his writings earlier.
For any of you interested, I read a book called The Worm in the Apple back when I was in college (another wonderful gift from Dad). After reading this people will no longer wonder why I choose to home school!!!!

1 comment:

FluffyChicky said...

I love Huck Finn! And I love good old American History!

If I were a more determined woman (with the luxury of staying at home) I would probably attempt to home school too. But, I know that there are some wonderful teachers out there (ahem, my mommy and my daddy was a great professor), (oh, and I can't EVER forget people like Mr. Abel and Mr. Francis!) that can teach things that I never could! I think public education can be great if you are willing to be pro-active about which teachers your kids get and if you go the extra mile as a parent and....wait. Where was I going with this? Oh, never mind. :)