Monday, May 12, 2008

Already going GREEN!

This morning I got into a little tiff with an acquaintance from out neighborhood and we were talking about the city recycling efforts. Lets just say this conversation got me a little upset. Here in Enterprise they put out special bags for you to put your stuff in to be taken to be recycled. Which is a happy change from what I used to do since I started in Jr. High. I always had to lug the stuff to the recycle place. Long story short, we got into the environment. Lets just say I think I do a lot for the environment! I do care about it.
1.) I recycle anything and everything they will let me. I try to buy only recyclable plastics and avoid the numbers they won't take here. I also try to buy more glass because they don't use oil based chemicals in glass containers, and when they break down, they just turn into sand.
2.) I use only plant based soaps and cleaners in my household. Melaleuca and Seventh Generation companies both make products that are non-toxic, chlorine and phosphorous free, biodegradable, and come in recyclable containers. So that way when I do dishes in the dishwasher I don't worry about my family eating crappy stuff left on the plates and I don't feel guilty when I toss out dirty mop water.
3.) I buy organic and locally made and grown stuff all the time!
4.) I line dry almost 99% of the time because its so hot here in Alabama anyway, and I can't beat the time it takes in the dryer vs. the time on the line.
5.) I use large loads to get more laundry done.
6.) I use cloth diapers. Cheaper, cleaner and not made up of plastic and chemical based material
7.) I use the sun whenever I can and keep all the lights off in my home as much as possible.
8.) I have a compost pile for egg shells, banana peels, coffee grinds, produce mess, and other food.
9.) I plant a garden
10.) I do all my billing on line and paper free.
I do all of this because I think it is A-better for my family and B-good for the earth.

I literally am more along the lines of government being like 20% in my life and 80% out of it! The less government the better. I have seen too many screw ups in government decisions to know they can't be trusted! If you want details, I have ample examples, but I won't go into that here. I do what I can, I just don't want someone telling me what kind of house I can live in, what kind of car I can drive, how much energy my household puts out, and what I need to do according to THEM for what is best and how much money they start taking out of a paycheck for that reason.
(Can you tell this conversation got me a little steamed!)

No comments: