Monday, November 10, 2008

As the saying goes...

There is a very old but very wise saying..."When in Rome, do as the Romans do." The same seems to be true for Germans. Here are few things I have learned since being here about the culture.
-When asking for water, they bring you tonic water.
-most everyone does speak a little english, and even if they don't they still are the nicest people who try to take good care of you
-Europeans it seems have a different sense of style. I call it the leathery, fur scarf boot look. I just can't seem to pull it off.
-Their salads here are wonderful and if you ask for a salad you don't get a choice of dressing, it just comes with oil and vinegar. KC misses his beloved blue cheese, but I love it just the way it is. Plus, everything is so fresh and fabulous tasting when it comes to fruits and veggies. I noticed not a single item of produce I buy anywhere here tastes bad.
-Soda is way more expensive than wine or beer, so I guess I will just have to start drinking more wine and learn (for the sake of our pocketbook) to like beer.
-They bring the drinks with no ice. I don't mind this, however I love my ice. I will just have to make do with the stuff at home.
-You have to pay to use the bathroom or Water Closet as they refer to it. But they are spotlessly clean.
-Most parents in Germany use something called a "pram" instead of a stroller. It works the same way, it is just that the baby lays down in sort of a bed on wheels.
-Nearly everyone I talked to said that three kids isn't a big family. Ok, I guess its just Americans who believe that.

More updates to follow on this saying. I am sure more will come along as we move into our new place..which should be soon (we are looking at one on Thursday) and as I try to understand the customs. But I have never had more fun and been in awe of so many beautiful things!

No comments: