Saturday, January 13, 2007

House of the Sick

Never in my life have I been so convinced of that wonderful saying "when it rains, it pours". The boys started coming down with colds a few days ago and then Thomas started sounding like he had a barking seal in his chest, so KC and I took him to see the doc on post. Turns out he has something called croup. It's basically a symptom that presents itself with a virus. Ben has caught the same virus but his symptoms are different. He has a fever, lots and lots of green stuff in the nose and a chest cough (not as bad). Funny thing is, if you didn't hear Thomas speak, you wouldn't think he was sick at all. He hasn't lost his appetite, he ate three granola bars, cheese, applesauce, grapes and some cereal for breakfast. Also he has lots of energy to go around. I know that is a good thing. And he slept most of the night.
Poor little Ben though, he clings to whoever is holding him and doesn't like to be put down even for a moment. His fever was high last night and finally came down some this morning, he has a hard time nursing because his nose is so congested. He is just miserable. So KC and I have been taking swing shifts. I lay down with Ben and try to get him to sleep as much as he can and KC takes care of Thomas. When I a up, I have Ben with me and I also look after Thomas (making sure he isn't moving chairs to climb up to the kitchen cupboards) while KC catches some ZZZ's. Still, we are both pretty tired. We'd appreciate thoughts and prayers from anyone.
So we have been and will probably continue to fill our days with medicine doses, menthol baths, booger bulbs and two hour cat naps. Should be one for the baby books!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I hope everyone is feeling better again soon.